Sunday, July 16, 2006

Baby stuff, pt. 47

So, while waiting for Henry to be born, I knit some baby jeans--"Blu" from Knitty.com, to be precise. And they were super cute. However, as it turns out, Henry does not like to wear pants. Really, he does not like to wear clothes and is basically a nudist. So I had to try my hand and making some baby clothes that cover a little less skin! This diaper cover was based on a soaker patter from punk_knitters. Since it is not acting as an actual soaker, I made it out of Rowan's All Seasons Cotton, which is v. v. soft. Henry seemed much more comfortable in these:


The next one I make is going to have intarsia on the butt. Intarsia of what? That I do not know.

Also I realize that this pattern of me make stuff for Henry without having any idea if he's willing to wear it or not will continue until he is 34 and I am 65, or thereabouts.

In other news, Henry's dad has asked me (half in jest, I think) if I would make him a sweater for his birthday in October. If I take him up on this challenge, it would be my first sweater ever (I've made a tank top and a sweatervest, but nothing with, you know, sleeves). Intriguing. He might have to chip in for the yarn.

Right now I'm working on socks for a friend's daughters, made out of that Dancing from Knitpicks. Toe-up, as usual. One of these days I'll attempt a toe-down pattern, now that I can do kitchener stitch, but I love toe-up. The figure-8 cast-on is so brilliant in its efficiency. Pictures of the socks to come.

Note: it is supposed to pass 100 degrees in Chicago today, and my roommate and I have not put it the "big" air condiioner. (We have little ACs in each bedroom.) I do not want to put it in because a) it is big and heavy, and b) I'm sick of having conversations that start with, "Robert, could you turn off your air conditioner? I need to use the microwave." So far with the fans and the shades and the two little ACs we've been okay. But today I think I might need to go see a long, cheesy movie to make it through the worst of the afternoon. I'll bring along some really basic knitting.

1 Comments:

Blogger LB said...

So far so good! There have been a couple days when I really could not be in the apartment. But, then, I am really not in the apartment that much anyway.

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home